Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Irene is finished!!

I decided one of those “life is perfect” moments is hand sewing the binding on a quilt. It was early morning, kinda chilly so I had it over me as I stitched along. Fat girl (one of my big hairy dogs) even curled up at my feet and I stuck my toes under her. It was pure contentment!! It is so exciting to finish, and the hand sewing part is so much more intimate than the whirling of the sewing machine. It is my time to love it and say goodbye, goodbye to the process of making it, and in this case goodbye to something I have poured a lot of work and passion into!





She is going to the laundry tomorrow and I will mail her off over the weekend. She is made entirely from scraps either given to me or from my current projects. The white is from white sheets (a lot of them scraps as well) and the backing is a teal sheet.





If you are interested in mailing a quilt to the over 1500 families that lost their homes in the Texas Wildfires you may send them to:

Valli & Kim Quilt Shop
Attn: Wildfire Quilts
700 West Highway 290
 Dripping Springs, TX 78620

If you have questions, please email me at moderndayquilts

They will be collecting them until the end of the month. They ask that it be at least 45X60 and especially want twin quilts.

There is also another store collecting 12 1/2” blocks and I plan to make a couple of those as well. There is actually a giveaway with this one and you can read about it at this link: Gerline's Quilt Shoppe

I also finished quilting Sharon and sewed the binding on the front, over the next couple mornings I will finish that up. I started sewing together the third denim quilt today as well.

Oh... I finally broke into that orange stash. I was completely bored with the 10 1/2” in squares for the backing of the denim and im going to do some different things with them. I decided they were an opportunity for me to play with color which im not very good at (I make scrap quilts because I dont have to match anything! Lol) So... one of the backs will be the remainder of the teal sheet with a row of flying geese at the top and bottom.





Its funny when I bought this set of sheets at a yard sale, I looked at it and said, well... I really don't like this color but its a lot of fabric and I dont have any... I am actually loving it now that Ive used it on Irene and this!

1 comment:

Molly said...

I love Irene! I'm sure she'll be appreciated and well loved in her new home. Sounds like she'll be providing some comfort to people that lost their homes. Nice way to reach out and help people in need.