Thursday, April 18, 2013

Mimi, We know the drill!

As i said in the last post we have the grand kids alot. It has changed our plans and our lives, and it has been an adjustment. Their dad drops them off at 6 am every morning.  We own a pizza shop... before this we didn't "do" 6 am. We had been starting our days at 7:30 or 8 ish and we haven't used an alarm clock in years... but i am getting up at 6 am now! wow!

Sometimes they get to spend the night, sometimes they go home at about 7:30pm. No matter what these children are welcome in our home, any hour and time and for as long as needed. It is the commitment Ralph and I have made.

Its hard to let go of the heartbreak of the situation. Its hard not to be mad at their parents for making the choices that they do. Addiction is an ugly horrible monster and we are watching it consume two young adults. It makes us feel powerless.

BUT.... this little guy smiles up at me and my heart melts and I fall in love with him each and every day. Both of these boys are fantastic children and when you give them love, attention and praise, they shine brighter than the sun. It is my blessing that I get to experience that each day.

But... it has taken some adjustments, and some trial and error... in the end we are getting routines. Oh and Lord knows, I am learning patience, Ralph is taking time to do things with them that he didn't do with his own kids because life was too busy or there were too many (they had 6 kids) It has taken a while but they are learning our rules,we are learning their rhythm and and as Landon likes to say "Mimi, we know the drill."

So.... I am still working on the donation quilt...
.
I did not make it by wednesday.... it will be done by the end of the weekend though!!! I cant wait to show pictures!!!

1 comment:

Molly said...

Cute! You are making a huge impact on their lives so your rewards will be forthcoming many years from now. Bless you!