Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A week to make a quilt!

I haven't been sewing, or putting listings in my etsy store. Life got busy again and we have had to make adjustments again! Bridgette was in the hospital for 10 days and we had a 6 yr old and a 22 month old living with us again. Bridgette is our daughter inlaw married to one of my husbands sons. She is a type 1 diabetic and at 27 years old her kidneys have shut down and she is now on dialysis 3 times a week for the rest of her life. I love Ralph's son and his wife to death but they have problems and they do things they shouldn't do when they have 2 kids and she has health problems. Since October it has been a roller coaster of problems. They have had their ups and downs. I'm hopeful that right now they seem to be doing good and have finally stopped doing things they shouldn't do but we still have grand babies with us ALOT because of the dialysis.

Add onto that i spilled coffee on my keyboard and my computer hasn't worked completely (I'm using Ralph's today)... it just meant an overall absence from here... i have missed it.

I have been making some sales. Mostly the patterns that i have found at thrift stores and put on there. I have taken inventory and i have over 100 different items to list and i only have 43 on there! I cant wait to get my computer back so i can get the rest of the listings on there.

What have i been making?

first there is a donation quilt that i have to finish this week. Last week my friend Casey asked me to make a quilt for her cowboy church raffle.

i thought i would share my process on this one...

I first chose the fabric... I wanted to use some of the western prints i had they were reds, browns, tans and blues.... I loved the combination and i pulled other fabrics to go with them.



My problem was, i do really well with 2 toned quilts but this was 3 colors... Most of my design happens during slow times at zippys and yes, this one was designed on a guest check. I don't remember where i saw this block. i didn't like it when i first saw it (realize now i didn't see its potential when i first saw it) but this day i was playing with with different hst layouts where i could play 2 colors with a neutral against each other and this is what came of it... not bad not bad.


So... my preferred method of HST's lately is making 4 from one square... so i went home and started cutting 6 1/2 in squares. Why that size??? because that is a size i cut my scraps into and i already had a bunch of the blue and tan cut and it saved me time. Sure i could have said, i want a 12 inch block so therefore i need to cut my squares this big... my brain doesn't work that way... what ever size my hst's ended up it was ok, i just used some of the precut stash and that always makes me happy.

so put like sides of a dark and a light together and sew along all 4 sides, (easy peasy) and then slice and dice them like this:



woo hoo i have a mess of hst's that are in the process of being trimmed to 4" squares.

 


I told her i would have it finished by next wednesday... ekk... my first real deadline! lets see if i can make it. Oh... i forgot about the border, i found and ordered more of this because i didn't have enough to use:

 

No comments: